- On February 8, 2015
So much of your job search is out of your control. You can’t force employers to read your resume, and your law school and salary have already been set. But you can control your LinkedIn profile, the platform of choice for employers and recruiters to find the right employee.
How do you stand out there? Some good tips:
- Include a profile picture! Now you are 11x more likely to be viewed.
- Have a short summary of your relevant skills. I hate having to guess at what someone does (hm, is this person a licensing, patent prosecutor, patent litigator, or corporate attorney?).
- Customize your LinkedIn URL. It doesn’t have to be a weird jumble of letters and numbers. Then make that easy-to-remember URL public. (Did you know you can hide the URL? You can, and it’s annoying, especially if I want to send that link to someone.)
- Include a contact info section so it’s easy for folks (like recruiters and employers) to contact you.
- Get standout recommendations, especially from impressive people.