- On September 3, 2018
If you were shut out of the sold-out ACC career advancement talk at Facebook featuring Zynga CLO Phuong Phillips, Facebook DGC Paul Grewal, and Chevron Chief IP Counsel Nicholas Leach, here are 5 pieces of advice from these senior legal execs:
- At the beginning of your career, take on as much work as you can, and learn your craft. Get mentors and sponsors. You don’t have to find someone that looks like you. Find mentors in those you respect, approach them gracefully, and offer up value to them.
- To get your voice heard, prep before meetings and ask allies (especially vocal friends) to amplify your opinions.
- To be a good attorney, you must be good at what you do and communicate effectively. Never lead with “no”; otherwise, clients will just avoid you. Actively listen so clients feel heard, and give them practical options.
- To be a good leader, you need judgment, intelligence/subject matter expertise, drive/ability to work hard, and integrity/authenticity. Enable your team by being transparent. Share all the facts you have so they can do a good job.
- To decide whether to move, consider your growth prospects where you are versus where you might be. (It’s definitely time to move when you are done growing.) When reviewing an opportunity, evaluate the people there (you will be spending long hours with them), as well as the company’s technology, trajectory, and mission. Always build relationships within your professional community. They will help you with moves. (And remember to help those junior to you as you move ahead!)