- On November 11, 2017
Even if you love your job, do these 5 things now so you can move elsewhere when you want to:
- Identify what kind of opportunity you’d be interested in, e.g., type of industry, key responsibilities, public vs. private, etc. Work towards getting experience for that kind of role. Be able to recognize when the dream job appears so you will have already considered the pros and cons and know the key questions to ask.
- Keep in touch with old colleagues and clients. They know how good you are and can introduce you with credibility to the right people.
- Network with peers. They can pass on tips and intros to jobs they are not interested in.
- Get recognized for the mastery of your work. Your reputation can generate leads, but you have to be known for your work.
- Understand the market and timing. It easily can take months to get traction, and significantly longer for lawyers with 10+ years of experience or skills in low demand. Know the peak hiring cycles each year (spring and fall), and when it’s slow (summer).
Remember: employers can tell if you are desperate to change jobs. Be hireable at all times!