- On February 25, 2018
Every once in a while, clients publicly recognize their lawyers’ work. But you don’t have to wait for that to happen in order to build your name proactively. Give presentations on your area of expertise! Below are 5 venues to do that:
- The easiest place to start is your place of employ. Volunteer to give an MCLE talk, brown-bag lunch, or presentation to clients on the latest developments in your area. Now you have the beginnings of your portfolio of speaking engagements!
- Ethnic bar associations are another good source. Most bars groups have an education committee or at least one person in charge of programming. Get to know that person, perhaps by first volunteering to help set up some events, which often rely heavily on volunteers. Some prominent Bay Area groups include APABA-SV, AABA, Charles Houston Society, and SF La Raza. Active national groups include MCCAis also very active.
- Check in with your alumni group to see if they offer local events. Fellow alums are easy to connect with.
- City bar associations also host many events including MCLE. See Bar of San Franciscoand Santa Clara County Bar Association. San Mateo’s Legal Aid Society is also active.
- Professional organizations are the ideal place for you to lead a talk, e.g., with ACC or PLI, and lend you instant authority.