- On August 18, 2013
Following the end of summer, the legal market traditionally heats up. What should you be doing to jumpstart your job search?
- Get on LinkedIn. Post a professional picture (you can get a nice head shot taken for less than $100). Your LinkedIn profile should contain a crisp description of what you do and use keywords for the job you want. Leave out or minimize anything unrelated to that job.
- Network with friends, clients, old classmates, professors, and co-workers. Get in touch with people now (not just when you want something from them), and offer up something useful (e.g., an article, an invitation to an MCLE, etc.).
- Check websites for jobs, e.g., www.indeed.com, www.linkedin.com, and my jobs page. Find out the trends, see how your ideal job is described, and tailor your profile and resume accordingly.
- Talk with the career services office of your alma mater to see job postings or get reciprocal privileges with schools in your area.
- Get to know a good recruiter. Impress her and gain first access to top jobs, tips on what the prospective employer is looking for, and current market data like comp.