- On January 12, 2014
Act on your New Year’s resolution to get a new job:
- Assess your skills and target your new employer. Set aside one hour per week (such a low bar!) to research target companies and see who you know there to facilitate introductions. Get your pitch ready!
- Show your expertise, e.g., by writing articles or leading MCLE classes. Impress others in this space by networking with them and being a good resource.
- Update your online presence. Put up a great, professional picture. This is often the first impression someone will have of you. Also, having a (good) picture increases outreach from employers and recruiters. (Without a picture, we assume you look like a troll. And no selfies!) Add contacts to LinkedIn now to increase the odds of connecting to a job you want later.
- Set weekly reminders to check out job resources, and check in with key people. Offer something useful to the person you are checking in with so you are not a pest and so they want to help you.
- Aim to go to one community/legal event a month (what a low bar again!). You need to circulate to remain fresh on people’s minds. Also, you will learn new things in your space and meet (or remeet) friends that you can help. When you help others, they are more likely to help you when you need it.