- On March 29, 2021
Is there some secret code to achieving success? Here are five things about successful lawyers, not secret at all and worth laying out concretely:
- Successful lawyers are memorable. My favorite candidates I call for top jobs are the ones that have impressed me usually due to a mix of their on-point skills and personality. They stay top of mind, e.g., send me quick notes about what they are up to, speak on events that are advertised broadly, and win awards. They do not disappear after an interaction and instead reach out to say thanks and give updates.
- They are easy to work with. They respond promptly to questions and present well to others.
- They communicate well. They are crisp and to the point. They understand what I am asking for and why, give the right amount of information, and provide on-point examples.
- They have good judgment. I can tell by #3, the way they communicate with me, effectively and personably.
- They have good track records. They usually worked super hard early in their career to master their craft and make their clients feel protected. Then when they need a referral later in life, they have lots of people to back them up. (And I have seen the opposite, when, perhaps unfairly, candidates are back-channeled, and people from their past destroy future chances of success.)